2020-21 Spring Camp Information
AFHL Spring Camp Information
As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve, the Alberta Female Hockey League is taking additional measures to protect our staff and the hockey community. Moving forward through this together, there are a couple of key items important to note for those athletes looking to play for U18 AAA AFHL Programs:
Spring Camps: Spring Camps for ALL (U15 AA, U18 AA, and U18 AAA) AFHL levels and divisions will be effectively cancelled for 2020. Athletes will have the opportunity to gather information about programs during this time, however no formal evaluations will occur until tryouts for the 2020-2021 season can begin.
- Coaches of U18 AAA Programs may begin conversations with prospective players about the 2020-2021 season on/after April 1.
- Prospective players include any female Alberta resident whose birth years are 2003, 2004 or 2005.
- Any 2006 born athlete is required to complete the “Player Acceleration Process” prior to July 1.
- Any 2003 or 2004 born athlete who competed at the U18 (Midget) AAA level during the 2019-2020 must have completed the Elite Waiver Form from their last registered AAA team prior to engaging in conversations with other AAA programs.
- U15 AA and U18 AA programs are still bound by recruitment areas that dictate an athlete’s first tryout. If there are extenuating circumstances that require families to request a change to their first tryout, they must complete the Elite Player Movement Application by July 1. For more information on “extenuating circumstances” and the process, please visit the Application Page.
- In-person contact is not advised at this time and social distancing is highly encouraged. All individuals (coaches, players and parents) should follow government and federal instructions around COVID-19 pandemic protocols.
- AFHL Programs are encouraged to use brochures, websites, and even teleconferencing to showcase and promote their programs.
- The Early Signing Period for U18 AAA programs begins on June 15 and is open until August 15.
- In order for a Player Agreement to be considered valid, all signatures must be present on the document and it must be submitted by the Association to Hockey Alberta directly.
- Players eligible to sign player agreements are 2003, 2004 and 2005 born athletes.
- Players 2003 and 2004 born players who competed at the U18 AAA level during the 2019-2020 season remain with that U18 AAA Club for the 2020-2021 season unless they have a completed Elite Waiver from their last registered team.
- Should a 2003 or 2004 born player who competed at the U18 AAA level during the 2019-2020 wish to play for an opposing club for the 2020-2021 season, they need to have completed an Elite Waiver Form prior to having conversations with other coaches.
Please take all precautions to stay safe. Follow the directions of local, provincial and federal health and government authorities, as we work together with fellow Albertans, and citizens across the country, to help resolve this situation. More information about Government of Alberta protocols and recommendations can be found here.
Thank you for your patience and cooperation as we continue to work through these uncharted waters.